Monday 3 – Sunday 16 July 2017
Deadline for application: Wednesday 31 May 2017, 5pm
The Scottish Institute for Business and Communication (SCIBC) at Heriot-Watt University is running a two week Summer Exchange Programme to its partner, Tianjin University of Finance and Economics (TUFE) in Tianjin, China. This is a fantastic opportunity for students who are interested in Chinese language, history and culture.
Successful candidates will spend the mornings in classrooms learning Chinese language from experienced language tutors. You will also take part in Chinese calligraphy, tea ceremonies, playing Chinese musical instruments and attending lectures. In the afternoons and weekends there will be visits to historical and cultural sites.
Find out what the SCIBC Summer Exchange Programme is like from a student's point of view by reading Jessica Doyle's blog post. Jessica took part in the Programme in 2016.
In order to be eligible for the Summer Exchange Programme, you must:
- Be a Heriot-Watt student (at any campus)
- Be a non-Chinese national
- Be aged between 18 and 30 years old
- Have never been to China under the SCIBC Summer Exchange Programme
Although everyone is welcome to apply, priority will be given to those who have studied or are currently studying at the Confucius Institute of Heriot-Watt University. Chinese Bridge candidates and HSK exam reports will be an added bonus.
SCIBC will cover the cost of:
- Language classes
- Transport in China
You need to pay for:
- Visa application fees (see Visa for China PDF for fee information)
- International return flights (price is roughly £700-800 but varies depending on dates of booking)
- Travel insurance
How to apply
Please send the following documents (original copies) to the Confucius Institute by 31 May 2017, 5pm:
- A personal statement
- Two reference letters from your lecturers/supervisors/employers on headed paper in sealed envelope
- Academic transcripts (your recent qualifications)
- A photocopy of your passport
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, call +44 (0)131 451 8467/8492 or pop in to see us in room 101 of the Postgraduate Centre on Heriot-Watt's Edinburgh Campus.